Thursday, June 12, 2014

IT'S HOW YOU GET THERE!

Hi there, 

So glad you stopped by today. 


You may have noticed that I haven't posted in a while. In fact, I haven't been stamping much lately either. I'm up to my eyeballs in the end of school activities, which will conclude with a Graduation party in the backyard a week on Saturday. 

I hosted the prom photo shoot two Friday's ago, and there have been umpteen end of the school year activities. My Mum and Dad arrived yesterday for five weeks, so I thought I'd better get a quick post in before they come through. It's all good, so I'm not complaining, but that's my excuse for not being more active over here! 

Today I'd like to share a card I made to showcase the new "dirty" embossing powders, Copper Flame and Blackened Bronze. These powders are super thick and have chunks in them. As a result, it is better to heat emboss them from underneath, so that the little chunks don't go flying off your project! As they are metallic and masculine, I used them along with two other metallic powders: Verdigris and Antiquities to create my card today:



I started with stamping the map from the new Travel Mixed Media Set. I stamped it twice on cream cardstock and then swiped over it with several Distress Inks, after tearing the edges. I embossed the torn edges with Antiquities embossing powder.

The sentiment is from Car Set 283: Clyde. It was stamped in Versamark and heat embossed with Antiquities. I attached brass hangers to add to the metallic look and wrapped a little burlap ribbon, distressed with Pumice Stone ink.


The chipboard pieces are from Want to Scrap. The cog and arrow were heat embossed first with Antiquities and then a little Verdigris. A little Mega Tack Glue was used to attach the cog to the underside of the sentiment before attaching to the map background with the hanger brads. This was then layered to Kraft cardstock, distressed with more Distress inks.

The Penny Farthing wheels were heat embossed with Blackened Bronze, then the bike frame was embossed with Copper Flame.


The arrow and bike were added with dimensionals to the card front. Full directions for the card can be found here, if needed.



Hope I've inspired you to pick up these new powders. They are so much fun to use, and are especially "geared" towards those masculine cards.

Till next time!

Hugs,

Shona


10 comments:

  1. A stunning masculine design and how true is the message.
    Hugs Desíre {Doing Life}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Sentiment n your card too ! the embossing with metallic powder looks fab !

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful card you created. Love the sentiment! And, I understand when life gets too busy and one cannot find time to get creative. I am having an extra busy summer as well. So guess maybe I will be missing in action now and then too. But glad to hear you are well and just involved with life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely Fantastic! I'm loving these gorgeous metallic powders. This is one marvelous card, with so much detail, dimension & sparkle. Enjoyed reading the how-to-s nearly as much as just looking at this beautiful work. Some lucky person is going to receive a super gift with just receiving this card. I'll be checking out the link you provided. Enjoy the festivities, don't worry about blogging - Life is more important. And especially enjoy the visit from your parents. That is most important of all. TFS & Hugs. See ya when you get back to blogland.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just fabulous! I love the powders on this piece. I also love all the elements. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! I love using embossing powders on element pieces!!! The new powders look like fun... great job and lots of vintage charm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning !!!! I love this !!!! Great embossing and design !!! Hope you have a wonderful day !!
    Hugs,
    Mayra
    Mayrasdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool! I love the unique look of those embossing powders. This card has so much interesting texture it's amazing :)

    Best crafty wishes!
    Amber
    Staying Crafty

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow wow WOW Shona! Such beautiful colors on your chipboard pieces. Love everything about your card, including the torn layers which have been beautifully distressed. wonderful card, dear friend! hugs, de

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Shona what a great canvas, great image ngreat details , a real wonderful great work,I love it!!

    Greetings
    maria

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and letting me share in part of your day. I would love to hear what you think about my latest creation!