I looked through my background dies and found this Spellbinder's one (Butterfly Magic). As the die is large, I decided to make a 5" x 7" card this time. I cut a piece of Super Adhesive Sheet 4" x 6" (as the 2 1/2" Tear-ific Tape was not wide enough) and stuck it down to a piece of white cardstock. I then put the die face down on top of the tape and ran it through my machine. This is how it should look:
Next you start to pick off pieces where you want the first color of glitter to go. For this I use an exacto knife.
Now you are ready to start coloring! Burnish the glitters in well with your finger tool! I like to use the Velvet Glitters for this technique as they are microfine and cover the adhesive thoroughly. I put some Ballerina down first, flipped the card over to remove the excess off the piece and then poured Orchid Rose over the piece and burnished it in well with my finger. It adhered to the remaining sticky surface to give this result:
I then picked out some more of the "image" and applied Purple Rain:
The remainder of the protective backing was removed, and I applied Cloud Nine. Dump it on and burnish it in. It will not get contaminated from the other darker glitters, as the darker glitters are truly stuck to the adhesive - they will not move!
Put the excess glitter back in the jar!
A sentiment and a purple ribbon were all I felt it needed to be complete. I stamped the sentiment in Versamark on glossy white cardstock and heat embossed with Mulberry Star. This embossing powder is one of the Tuscany EPs. They are detailed embossing powders, which makes them awesome for sentiments, when black just won't do! The sentiment was die cut and embossed with Spellbinders Ribbon Tag Trio. A little Memento Lulu Lavender was daubed on before removing the die. The card front was layered to purple before tying the bow and attaching the tag. Dimensional Foam was added behind for dimension.
I hope I've inspired you to give this technique a try. Let me leave you with a quick look at another card I made using the same idea, but using five dies, instead of one to make a background.