Thursday, May 17, 2018

Denim Pocket Happy Birthday

Hi there,

Today I'd like to share with you, my first May Reveal card using the fun Pocket Full of Posies Set 896 along with my homemade denim cardstock!


As soon as I saw this stamp set, I had the idea of using the denim pocket in my card design. I had used the pocket idea many, many years ago when I had photocopied the back pocket of one of my toddler's jeans (the youngest of which is 18 today!!). I had taken several copies of it, and it was tucked at the bottom of my homemade background's drawer. I thought it would be fun to have denim on the background too, so I put a leg of a pair of jeans in my printer and took a copy. Here are the beginnings of the card:


I made my tag using the Memory Box Stitched Main Street Tags, but the tag that was wide enough was not sufficiently long, so I ran it through the Tangerine machine and put a doubled up piece of card at the bottom of the tag, which acted as a stop and then I pulled the tag die down, in order to elongate the die cut. I made two of these elongated tags, so that I would have a backing to the tag, as I wanted to stamp a sentiment on the back and make it sturdier.


On one of the tags, using the Stamp Platform, I stamped the sentiment from another of the May Reveal Sets - Cardinal and Holly Set 895 in Nuvo Clear Mark and then heat setting with Cerulean. A little ribbon of denim was added, when the tag was finished.


Now on to the front of the tag. Using the Stamp Platform again, I stamped the image with Nuvo Clear Mark and then heat embossed with Black Detail.


The background was colored in with Cornflower Blue Embossing Mousse applied with a waterbrush. Then the flowers were colored using an acrylic block and Aquaflow Markers: Spiced Ginger, Lemon Zest, Red Apple and Fresh Green, also being applied with the Nuvo Water Brush.


The stamp was positioned in the Stamp Platform to fit inside the lines of the pocket. This was then stamped in Nuvo Clear Mark and heat embossed with Sienna. This was then fussy cut with the 5" Mini Scissors


This pocket was layered over the stamped pocket with 1/4" Tear-ific Tape. I used the Black Micron Pen to add the little leafy squiggle. Then Tangerine and Butterscotch Microfine Glitters were added to the flowers using the Sakura Quickie Glue Pen.


Winter Cranberry Glitter Accents was added to the red centers of the flowers.


I cut out the printed jean pocket with the mini scissors for the front of the card. The back and front of the tags were glued together with Nuvo Deluxe Adhesive


The card base was cut and 1/4" Tear-ific Tape was added around the edges. The denim cardstock was then layered to the center of the card base and both Tangerine and Butterscotch Glitters were applied to the exposed adhesive. The little sentiment was stamped in Nuvo Clear Mark and heat embossed with Cerulean and was then cut out using a small die from the Stitched Main Street Tags. It was attached to the pocket with a little gold brad.The copied pocket was attached to the front panel with Mounting Tape, which would allow the tag to be pulled in and out.


Ripened Pumpkin Crystal Drops were added to the card for finishing touches.


Here is a list of the Products used in my card today:

Black Detail (EP171), Sienna (EP413),
Memory Box Stitched Main Street Tags
Copic YR16 Marker
Gold Brad
Denim (home copied paper)
Micron 08 Pen
Mounting Tape

Please leave a comment here on my personal blog and also over on the Sparkle N Sprinkle blog and that will put you in the running to win a $20 gift certificate to the Sparkle N Sprinkle store.  The winner of the certificate will be announced on the SNS blog and on the SNS Facebook page at the end of the month. You have to leave a comment in both places to be eligible. Good luck!

I'd like to play along in the following challenges:
Crafty Creations Challenge #366: Anything Goes
Crafty Gals Corner Challenge #165: Add a Flower
Scrapy Land Challenge #90: Anything Goes, using a die cut
Stinkin' Inkers Challenge Blog: Use flowers
World Wide Open Design Team Challenge #5: Anything Goes
Classic Design Team Challenge #25: Anything Goes
Craft Stamper Take it Make it May Challenge: Anything Goes

I hope you've enjoyed my share today. Thanks again for stopping by!

Shona

17 comments:

  1. What a cool idea to create a denim cardstock !! I loved rth denim pocket with daisies !

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so clever and fabulous, Shona!! I love the denim paper!! How creative!! The flowers look amazing!! They sparkle so beautifully!! Gorgeous card!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous card, Shona, such a clever design. Thanks for the instructions. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great card design with the photo copy of the denim. I used to do that years ago too when I had a limited amount of pattern paper. You really made an awesome card with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shona, what a super cute card and I love the denim card stock idea. I am going to have to do that also. Love that pocket full of posies set. Perfect for your design. Thanks for sharing your denim card stock idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clever idea, using
    real jeans to make
    the denim looking
    pocket. Darling tag.
    Carla from Utah

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! What an incredible and unique card you created here Shona. Great imagination to use real jean material for a copy. Love the gorgeous coloured flowers - so blingy fabulous. Love the added tag. Shame my Nuvo mousse has gone hard as I loved the stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great card Shona and so creative with your 'denim' at first I thought it was REAL denim, but much better creating it the way you did..awesome card.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH! my goodness, what ingenious creative skills you have, I love the card, the denim is so realistic, so great photography too. A SUPER card.
    Faith
    x
    Just one thing, I wish I had all the inks etc you have LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the use of actual jeans. So awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this neat card! Great job! Love all the denim and the yellow flowers just pop!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my! "Shabby Sparkle!" It's your own look - vintage denim meets sparkly Shona! Your business size card is beyond fabulous in every way, Shona. I love your genius in scanning/photocopying jeans! All the pretty watercoloring, and glittery choices make your card extra special! Really great! Hope you are enjoying your Mum and Dad's visit, and all the celebrations, too! hugs, de

    ReplyDelete
  13. Terry Green
    I absolutely love this card! Thanks for the tutorial I can't wait to make for a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous technique, great project. Lovely work.
    Thank you for sharing with us here today at World Wide Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.

    Annette DT Registered Owners/Admin for World Wide Open Design Team Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great card design! Thanks for sharing with us at Crafty Gals Corner!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous creation, love the design! Thank you for sharing with us over at Scrapy Land! Hope to see you again!
    ~ DT Sherry x

    ReplyDelete

  17. It's so clever and nice project!
    Thank you for sharing with us over here at World Wide Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.

    Ewa DT for  World Wide Open Design Team Challenge

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and letting me share in part of your day. I would love to hear what you think about my latest creation!