Friday, January 24, 2020

Hap-Bee Birthday!

Hi there, 


I'm back today to share a card, with one of my favorite coloring techniques - with glitter (and a little flocking)!



The following dies were used in my project today:





(any of the stacker frames would work)




I began with cutting the Honey comb die from black cardstock.


I took a 4 1/2" square piece of Super Adhesive sheet and layered it to a slightly bigger piece of yellow cardstock. I then die cut the Tutti Cross Stitch Nested die from the middle of the square. It did not cut through the yellow cardstock, only the protective sheet was cut.


The Honey comb die was then placed in the center of the circle.


Let the coloring begin! First up is Daisy Glitter for the honey comb. I carefully just poured a little glitter at a time and burnishing it in to the comb sections with my finger.


Till the honey comb was filled! I accidentally filled in one of the flower centers with the Daisy glitter - that would be rectified later!



Then I did the flower centers (missing one) as you can see above! I just used an orange Copic marker over the top of the Daisy glitter, to make it like the rest.


Next in line was the bee, which got the "butterscotch" treatment.


With everything else colored, I was looking for a "quiet" background, so I chose to do Crystal Ice.



So then on to the perimeter! I pulled the protective layer off the rest of the square. There were little areas that were not sticky, so I went in with the Quickie Glue pen and then the background was applied with Canary flocking.



Next step was to make the black frame. I chose the Celtic option, however any one of the Cheery Lynne dies will work.


The focal front was then centered on top of the black frame. 3/4" Tear-ific Tape was added to the back of the entire piece. 



Butterscotch glitter was then applied around the edges.


I had thought to do the create a buzz as the outside sentiment, then I decided to put that in the inside with just the Hap-Bee Birthday sentiment for the outside. The Lawn Fawn Just For You Dies were perfect for both of the sentiments from an old Sparkle N Sprinkle set. Both sentiments were stamped in Versafine Claire Nocturne and then heat embossed with Black Detail embossing powder. Then I also stamped the hive with Versafine Clair Morning Mist on the inside to finish off the card.


That finished off the card for today! 


Here are the products that I used today:

Honey Bees Stamp Set 775 (Sparkle N Sprinkle)
Daisy Glitter (G2019)
Tangerine Glitter (GM2043)
YR04 Copic Marker
Butterscotch Glitter (GM2051)
Crystal Ice Glitter (G1058)
Canary Flocking (FL108)
Super Adhesive Sheets
¾” Tear-ific Tape
Quickie Glue Pen
Memento Dandelion Ink
Black Detail Embossing Powder (EP171)

I'd like to join in the following challenges:
Scrapy Land Challenge #130: Use a brand of die that SL sells
World Wide Open Design Team Challenge #1: Anything Goes
Classic Design Challenge #1: Anything Goes

Hope you've enjoyed my share today? Would love to hear what you think!

Some bitter sweet news on the personal front, on my return from my Scotland trip in
December, I found that I had lost both of my bee hives, due to the Varroa mite,
which as a new beekeeper this year, I had only done the sugar roll method
to ascertain the mite counts through the year. Although I could have extracted
some honey in August, I left all the honey that the bees had produced for them
to survive the winter months. However the stronger hive which had almost 10 full
frames of honey in the top box hadn't even reached that honey before they died.
So I took those frames off and extracted the honey. I was able to harvest 21.5 lbs
of liquid gold! It was certainly a learning year and I have already bought boards
for the hives that will help this year in maintaining a stricter mite control regime.
Here is a picture of the harvest!



Happy stamping until next time!

Shona

15 comments:

  1. How beautiful Shona! A wonderful reminder of summer and warmer days to come with this lovely bright card. The black die cuts contrast so well with the yellows and golds of the glitter and flocking. I bet this card looks even more gorgeous IRL when you can see the glittery sparkle properly! The flocked background looks so strokeable, lovely texture. All this and a really clear step by step tutorial of how you created it...a great post!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is a beautiful sparkle and glitter card and so very well designed!! (I wonder where you got all the glitter lol). Your honey looks fabulous, I admire you for even doing this as I wouldn't even know where to begin. A classmate of mine from a few years ago (ahem..more then a few) has honey hives here and as experienced and as many years as he has done it, he still loses hives now and again...but at least you are going to keep going on this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your card is beautiful! Thanks for the tutorial. I am glad you were able to get a lot of honey at least from one of your hives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous glittery card, Shona. Love the dies you've used, especially the Honeycomb die. You managed to harvest a lot of honey, although it was such a shame you lost both your bee hives while you were away. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your beautiful glittery card creation with that bee design. And, that is a lot of honey! Hubby likes honey but I find it too sweet for my taste. But I do use it in baking now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doesn't that flocking look amazing with your sparkling masterpiece, Shona? And a perfect "bee" theme texture! I'm sorry to hear about your bees, Shona, but grateful there is something positive you can do to minimize the mite issue next year. Fantastic golden harvest! Enjoy! hugs, de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to say how much I truly enjoyed your card, Shona! (duhhhh!) Your techniques and die cuts are beautiful! hugs, de

      Delete
  7. WOW! on so many layers Shona, I love how you put this together and the different colours and textures, which stand out beautifully. Just one thing how come the yellow sticky layer wasn't cut with the die? It's a FABULOUS card, thanks for the tutorial always beautifully written. As for your bees, how heartbreaking, BUT they left you with a wonderful harvest.
    Faith x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous card! Thank you for sharing in our challenge at Classic Design Challenge we really appreciate you joining in.

    Maritza DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous card, Shona! It's such a lovely combination of dies! I love seeing all your wonderful honey jars too! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shona Thank you so much for showing how you made this gorgeous card....such an inspiration you are and oooh so amazed to see your harvest of honey!
    Cheers
    Dr Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow love this project. You did such a fabulous job here. Love the flocking work and the image. Your project looks amazing.
    Thank you for sharing with us over here at World Wide Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.

    Annette DT / Admin / Registered Owner for https://worldwideopendesignteamchallenge.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous card, Shona! So sorry to hear about your bees! But the honey is as pretty as your card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got so excited about your bees I forgot to say...Thanks for joining us at Scrapyland Challenges. Julie, DT member

      Delete
  13. Fabulous card Shona! Love the bee die. Thank you for sharing with us over here at World Wide Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.

    Gale DT for  http://worldwideopendesignteamchallenge.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and letting me share in part of your day. I would love to hear what you think about my latest creation!