Thursday, March 20, 2014

TULIP SYMPATHY

Welcome to Spring! Does that mean we're done with snow? I sure hope so.  I see some little stems poking through the ground - so looks like something is happening out there, although we do still have snow out on our back patio. Crazy right? What a winter it has been.

Anyway, a couple of weeks back I needed a few birthday cards, and unfortunately a sympathy card, so with Spring on my mind I went upstairs and quickly stamped out a few clumps of tulips from stamp set 491: Tulips from Sparkle N Sprinkle. I brought the images, a few Copic markers and a pair of scissors back down to the house and sat in front of a nice warm fire and colored and cut away!



Next day, I had five of the tulip clumps to work with and decided to start with the Sympathy card. I added some Sunny Daze glitter to the tulips with a Sakura Glue pen. I chose my sentiment from Sympathy Set 579 and stamped it in Versamark on cream cardstock and heat embossed with Black Detail. It was cut and embossed with Spellbinders Fancy Tag and before removing the die, I sponged with Memento Dandelion ink.

I liked the ornate look of the tag, so sifted through my die cut drawers to find an appropriate background for my tulips. Spellbinders Shapeabilities Ornate Squares was my die of choice! 



I cut and embossed cream card again and sponged with the Dandelion ink before removing that die also. The base was cut off the square so that I could put the tag over the top and make it look like it was a continuation of the background. 

I added the die cut to black cardstock and that was layered to a cream base. The tulips were attached with tape at the bottom and dimensionals under the flowers and then I popped up the tag over the bottom of the stems with dimensionals too. 


I made this card for my sister-in-law back home, who has just lost her father.  I think in my rush to get it in the mail, I forgot to write anything inside!! Well, she'll know it's from me (from the return address) and I guess it's the thought that counts, right? Still, I can't believe I did that, hopefully my memory is so bad that I did write something - I just don't remember writing anything!




I'd like to enter this card in the following challenges:
Hobbybook Designer Challenge - Time for Spring 
Inky Impressions -Spring

... and I'll be back soon with a birthday version of my tulips! 

Till then,

Hugs,

Shona

12 comments:

  1. Your card is absolutely gorgeous! Love the bright yellows on a sympathy card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really do put a lot of thought, time and effort into your cards. No wonder they are all so lovely. This is really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shona, this is sharp, sharp, sharp!! Love what you did with the tulips and using such bright contrasting colors. Love it! Hugs, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Shona! Will have to check out this SnS tulip set. I'm particularly drawn to the way you have used the 2 dies so creatively that at first glance, it looked to be one die. Love the stenciling through the dies too. Will be remembering this one. It's a lovely sympathy card, and your recipient will be comforted by your caring thoughts at such a difficult time. TFS & Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shona your card turned lovely and cheerful, it should surely bring a bright moment in such a sad time to your SIL. I hope you just forgot that you did wrote in the card and if not she will know it's you and hey... it happened to all of us at one point lol...
    Love the sparkle on that lovely stamp!
    hugs, Steff

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so beautiful !! loved the bright yellow colored tulips n layering.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow Shona, this is just stunning and the yellow and black is very striking.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    {Doing Life – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohhhhhhhhh I NEED that SB Fancy Squares die! HOW GORGEOUS it is, Shona! And very striking agains the fancy tag. Your yellow coloring looks FABULOUS! This is a wow card. I'm sorry it needed to be a sympathy card - it will sooth the hearts of those to whom it is being sent. Very sorry for their loss.the shading on your tulips and leaves looks incredible - a wonderful card, Miss Shona! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty colors and design.

    Hugs Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shona, this is just lovely, too bad it is for a sad situation and whether you wrote in it or not, you are right, it is the thought that counts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sorry for the reason for this card but it is really beautiful, I love how you have coloured and mounted the tulips. Thank you for entering it at the Hobbybook Designer Challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shona , this card is beautiful and perfectly made !!! Your choice of colors and design are gorgeous !!! Hope you have a wonderful day :)

    Hugs,
    Mayra
    Mayrasdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and letting me share in part of your day. I would love to hear what you think about my latest creation!