Wednesday, August 1, 2012

IT'S THE SNS FURRY FRIEND BLOG HOP

Hi and welcome to the latest Blog Hop by the SNS girls!  We've got a lot of cute and cuddly projects to share with you, to celebrate our little furry friends. If you are here by way of  Marie's fantastic blog then you are in the right place and you are eligible to win one of five different prizes.  All you have to do is a leave a comment at the end of each blog - it's that easy!

If you've been following my blog lately, you will see that I have been working with our Tear-ific tapes quite a lot.  Although not furry (just very sticky) - he's my new best friend!!  The tapes are super easy to work with and come in various widths, from an 1/8" through 2 1/2"  ...and if that's not wide enough, all you need to do is step on up to the Super Adhesive Sheets.

My obsession with the tapes really got worse in June when I was demoing at a Scrapbook Convention in Somerset, New Jersey with Margaret. We were showing customers the many uses of the tapes, and one of the un-advertised uses is to use the left over backing as a mask!  I now keep a bag of the leftovers - some of them are from border punches, some of them are from big pieces of sheets that I've used, or the 2/12" tape. I'd like to show you how I do this masking with a little tutorial today.

When I got my Kitty Trio Set, I immediately thought about how cool it would be to have these little guys colored, but be fuzzy too!  I had recently stamped on top of flocking, and knew that it worked, so I took the idea one step further - here is what I came up with:

Cut a piece of the Super Adhesive Sheet (the tape was not wide enough for this image) and stick it down to a piece of white cardstock.  Stamp the image directly on to the protective backing of the tape. Remove same backing and cut around the outline of the cat on the left.  Place that back down on to the exposed tape - this is your mask:


Now, using the Elephant Gray flocking and a pair of tweezers, dab little patches of the flocking on to the exposed side of tape.


When done, turn piece upside down to remove excess and return to jar.  Then take the Snow White flocking and dump that on top of the gray patches and burnish in with your finger.


After returning excess white flocking to jar, remove the mask.


Repeat with Amber Wheat flocking (as the patches)


.... and Buff flocking.  The finished piece should look something like this!


Now stamp the kitties on to a stamp positioner and place on top of the flocked piece in the correct position.


Remove the acrylic block and stamp on top of the flocked piece with Black Memento ink.


How cool is that!!!???


Cut around the outline of the two cats.


... and there they are!  Aren't they so darned cute - and fuzzy to boot?!  Wish you could feel them, well you can - just make your own!! Here is how I used them in a card:


Here's a close-up, so you can see the fuzzy goodness! ...... and here is the recipe! ?


I hope you've enjoyed your visit with me today.  Now after leaving me a comment, you should continue on to the talented Karalee's blog .  Enjoy the rest of the hop.  I'm off to see what else needs flocking!!


45 comments:

  1. This is a very cool technique that I'm going to have to try. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a really cool technique and the cats all fuzzy awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a different way to apply flocking where it's most desired. Thank you for sharing this unusual technique with us all.
    Jan Hobbs

    ReplyDelete
  4. How very fun & FUZZY! Great tutorial too Shona! Love how the flocking looks "under" the stamped image instead of on top this time! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute. I am going to have to try that technique!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great technique and your card is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are in the store!! Love what you did, thanks for the tutorial:) I really need to try this technique!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful tutorial, Shona! Looks completely different than the tiger card Brenda made using a similar technique. Your masking idea is a wonderful spin on it! Thanks for teaching me something new using the fun products, and for showing off your darling card! (love ya back LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the cats! Thanks for the tutorial. Can't wait to give it a try.
    Lori Gugan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tutorial, love it. Selma

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love what you did with the flocking! Your kitties are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the flocking tip - it has always been a problem area for me - now I have a new way to do something that has been a problem for me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved your flocking technique. Got to give it a try.Love your flocking. Really helps me out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fabulous tut you made for us! Thank you for showing us how to do this very effective technique with the cutest kitty stamp ever! Love it Shona!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is such a great idea and neat technique. I think I might have to give it a go too. Those cats are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a very fun technique. I would love to try it someday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. AWESOME Tutorial on the Super Adhesive Sheets and masking!!! Yes - we both love stamping on the flocking, but I have to say I got the idea from you :) Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a cute card! Love those flocked kitties, especially the spots!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your furry friends are adorable. Thank you for the great cards and all your hard work. HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks, I've used the stamp before but this is a different technique.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cute, cute, cute! A really great technique and tutorial. Easy to follow. I must try this. I love cats and I like how they are all fuzzy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Adorable card and great directions.
    Thanks for both!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well, Shona, this was a great tutorial and a really innovative way of using all the products. Kudos to you again. I must try this out sometime, whenever I get back to stamping. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your fuzzy cats look fabulous on the card. I wish I could feel them too. I just love that flocking stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just love the fuzzy cats. What a fun tip you gave us ..

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for sharing your cards and the flocking tips!

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for the pictures with each step. I often need to see it in order to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great idea! I love sticky tape and paper and now I have a new way to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for the tutorial!!
    kasot@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a great way to use the flocking. Those kitties look awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. These kitties are too cute!! Thanks for the tutorial also! Very cute card! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great technique for using the flocking. I bet there are a lot of other situations where you could use this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Super cool Cat card love the Techniques. love the colors. I haven't tried Flocking yet but the way you showed it It makes me want to try soon. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is so cool.... Can't wait to try it..... Tfs!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. the floacking is so cool! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  36. i love the flocking technique. Will have to try it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great technique and perfect for
    cat cards!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Good directions for the cat flocking, too - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a clever technique, and such gorgeous results! Your tutorial was great and easy to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great card! Love your flocking technique.

    ReplyDelete
  41. How adorable and clever. Okay... now I have to make something fuzzy! Love your instructions. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Great technique! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a wonderful technique, now I have to order some flocking powder. Those cats would make a great card for best friends.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and letting me share in part of your day. I would love to hear what you think about my latest creation!