Tuesday, August 28, 2012

AN AUTUMN BIRTHDAY

Well, Fall is definitely here in New Jersey!  Although we still have hot weather, some of the trees are starting to lose their leaves.  It's always a sad time for me, as I hate to admit that summer is over and the kids will be going back to school, or in my eldest's case "away to school" and it means back to early rises and routine!  However on the bright side, I just love the autumn colors and New Jersey has so many trees that even the back yard looks different every day! The colors are what inspired my card today:

September and October are the busiest birthday months for me and so I thought I'd better get a few under my belt before I left for Scotland on Sunday.  I'll be back on the 11th but don't know if I'll be able to get right back in to stamping - it's more likely to be laundry and cleaning!!

I've been playing a lot with the Water Stamping Technique, and I found the colors I gravitated towards were "fally", and so I made bunches of leaves, and used the left over ones on my birthday cards.  Here is the last one that I put together with some "scraps" that were lying about on my table from previous projects.


The woodgrain background was made by painting a piece of cream cardstock with a Copper Acrylic Paint Dabber. I ran it through the embossing folder and then lightly sanded the piece, to bring out the texture. I layered that on to a piece of cream edged with Tear-ific Tape and applied Autumn Medley Glitter to the exposed edges. The leaves were made by sponging dye inks (I used orange, green and red) onto cream cardstock and then stamped the leaves with Versamark, then heat embossed with Teddy Brown embossing powder (EP187).  I ran the leaves through the Sissix "Cracked" embossing folder and added a little more of the inks to highlight.  The tag is from Spellbinders Ribbon Tag Trio Two, stamped with Happy Birthday to You from Set 416. I distressed the edges of the finished card with the green dye ink.

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. Love the "wood" look behind the leaves... very pretty fall card

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really interesting treatment for the leaves Shona - very unique!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and letting me share in part of your day. I would love to hear what you think about my latest creation!