Friday, November 2, 2012

Shona and Super Storm Sandy Update


My name is Donna and I'm a friend of Shona's. Because I'm down in Florida, I have not been affected by the recent storm. Shona has asked me to write on her blog so her friends with internet service can now she is ok.

Shona, David and kids are doing great, though it is cold with the weather change.

Their telephone service is no longer predictable. Shona said the forwarding service from the house phone to her cell phone has stopped working. The substation may have become flooded, lost its battery-back-up power, or is being reserved for emergency-contact numbers only. 

She is also having periodic trouble with cell service, but it is working more than the house phone. For some reason, Shona is able to get in touch with me in the mornings, but cannot reach most of her other contacts. That is why she has not phoned many of her friends and family.

She can retrieve voice mail messages late at night, but calling out is "hit or miss".

Be assured that they are all fine. The generator is still keeping the food cold. The fire place is providing warmth for that room, and she can cook on her gas stove top. They also have hot water because the hot water heater is gas.

Shona said it appears that they will not have power for another week. We are hopeful that it will be restored more quickly. More than anything, it sounded to me like Shona is bored. She is so used to being busy 24-7 that it's probably difficult to snuggle in a blanket and read. She misses her stamping room because it's a bit cold up there.

David went to work yesterday hoping to recharge their cell phones and laptops, however the office is closed. Shona does not have internet service. David has spent his 2nd day hoping to find an open gas station with power. They can only obtain 10 gallons at a time. While they have full tanks in their vehicles, they need to refill the containers for the generator. Lines are long. 

In the meantime, Shona is stamping, of course, trying out new techniques which do not require power. She advised me she has run out of Super Adhesive Sheets, Brenda LOL

Please be assured that they are safe. The Erlenborn home is not damaged. Just a mess to clean up when time permits. In the meantime, I'll try to keep everyone posted via the blog until their power, phone, and internet is up and working again. If you have any questions, please leave them in the COMMENTS section, and I'll try to get back to you.

Very sincerely,

Donna


2 comments:

  1. I think it's so great that you posted this update! Her family and everyone in NJ and NY are in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that the worst is over and you came thru with flying colors!!! Hope the electric is back on soon - I'm sure you're happy that you finally have internet today though!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and letting me share in part of your day. I would love to hear what you think about my latest creation!