Today I am sharing a card I made specifically for a Challenge that promotes Turner Syndrome Awareness. I first became aware of Turner Syndrome two years ago when the stamping community, headed up by Lori Kobular, started the Turner Syndrome Awareness Blog Hop.
Turner Syndrome is a genetic disorder where a female is born missing all or part of her second X chromosome leaving her with life-long medical issues and learning disabilities. This condition occurs one in 2,000 female births worldwide, but is more common among pregnancies that do not survive to full term. That is why Turner Syndrome Females are considered MIRACLES! I hope you will go to Lori's site to learn more!
Here is the mood board for the Challenge:
I started this card a couple of weeks ago and it changed directions several times before it was finished. I had this never before used Stampendous Hydrangea Garden stamp, stencil and die set that I recently came across during a clean-up in my stamping room. Since the Butterfly is also a symbol of TSF, I thought this set was the perfect choice!
I began with stamping the hydrangea bloom in my stamping platform with Versafine Clair Nocturne ink. The outline part of the stencil was placed around the bloom and I colored using inkers and some Distress Oxide inks.
This was returned to the stamping positioner and was reinked with Nocturne and then heat embossed with sparkle. The mask part of the stencil was then placed on top of the bloom in the stamping positioner and the leaves were positioned and stamped with the Nocturne ink.
The leaves were then colored using inkers and different green inks, with the bloom and leaf stencils being put in place of areas not to be inked.
I covered the butterfly with Versamark ink and then heat embossed with Clear Detail and then again with Super Thick Clear. This gave the butterfly a beautiful shiny coat!
Lavender Iris glitter was then applied to the sticky surface of the frame when I took of the protective backing.
To tone down main image I decided to cover it with vellum. I attached it with a little Pixie Spray to hold it in place temporarily. I attached the glittered frame to the piece using a flower and brad in each of the four corners.
I placed the finished panel back in the stamp positioner and positioned the butterfly stamp on top of the vellum.
The glazed butterfly was then placed on top of the body of the butterfly. Now she has legs and antennae again! The card front was layered to pale purple and then on to a white card base.
I searched high and low for a sentiment. As luck would have it another dear stamping friend, Donna Ellis, had recently gifted us a sentiment that we could use on our personal projects and I thought it would be perfect for my card. However I did have to change the size to fit where I wanted it to go. So after adjusting the dimensions on my computer, I printed it out on the same pink cardstock that I had used for the frame. I then die cut the sentiment using the inside die cut of the Tonic die set.
The sentiment was attached with some mounting foam. Some pink baker's twine was knotted around the spine of the card to finish off my project.
Donna Ellis’s sentiment
Stampendous Fran’s Hydrangea Garden Stamp and Stencil Set
Stampendous Fran’s Hydrangea Garden Die Cut Set
Versafine Clair Nocturne ink
Sparkle embossing powder
Distress Oxide Inks:
Worn Lipstick, Wilted Violet, Peeled Paint, Fossilized Amber, Broken China
Versafine Clair inks: Cheerful, Verdant, Shady Lane
Copics markers: RV02, Y13, YG256, YG13, W-3
Clear Embossing powder
Super Thick Clear embossing powder
Tonic Topnote Trellis Layering Die Set
Double sided adhesive sheet
Lavender Iris glitter
Pink Baker’s twine
Foam mounting tape