I know it is already officially fall, but I have another beach themed project that I just have to share with you. Instead of a card today, I decided to frame a cute photo that I took on the beach last summer in California, as we headed for Hawaii.
I started with a plain clip photo frame and took it apart. I taped a piece of 3.5" x 5" card to the center of the piece of glass with temporary tape. My photo would be inserted into the free space once I was done with my embossing. I turned the frame over so that the piece of card was underneath and I placed the photo in the center of the frame (in the same spot as the piece of card). Using a die based ink marker, I drew little lines where the white of the crest of the waves started and ended, the different grades in the sand and the sand bar at the top of the photo. These were to be my guides for my "painting".
I removed the photo and set it aside as a guide to my "painting". I started with where the white was going off the photo, with the waves and along where the beach meets the ocean. Turning the frame over, I drew the lines out with a Versamarker Pen to the edge of the frame along the left and right sides of the frame. White Detail powder was then applied.
I then covered the bottom edge of the frame with a Versamark pad along the lines and below to create the sand. Hit the Beach was applied to this portion. I then heat set these two colors, before proceeding with the other powders.
Cappuccino Star was then applied to the next tier of the sand with the Versamarker Pen. This was also then heat embossed. The two blues, Poolside and By the Lake were last in line to be applied. The photo below shows the embossed (back) side of the frame. The piece of card was discarded at this point.
The shells and the sentiment are all from the same set 560: Ocean Treasures. I stamped the shells on watercolor cardstock with Timber StazOn and used a waterbrush and watercolor crayons to color them in.
When they were dry they were fussy cut and applied with Versamark and heat embossed with Sparkle EP.
The photo was next - I used some Brushable Glue and Sparkling Snow Glitter on the waves in the photo and then the Sakura Glue pen was used to add a little shine to the sand with Celestial glitter being applied.
Once everything was dry it was just a case of putting it all together. The photo was slipped into it's spot and I put a piece of 5" x 7" light blue cardstock behind the photo and frame. The sentiment was stamped in Versamark onto glossy white cardstock and was heat embossed with Bronze Rose.
It was then cut out with Spellbinders Framed Tags One and before removing the die, was daubed with a little Memento Lulu Lavender ink. I ran a piece of organdy ribbon through the hole and attached the sentiment with dimensional foam before attaching the ribbon to back of frame. This was then clipped on to the frame base. The shells were attached with dimensional foam and tape, having been shaped before placement.
.... and that completed my project. I hope this has inspired you to look at using your embossing powders in a different way than usual.