Friday, January 3, 2020

Butterfly Sympathy

Happy New Year everyone! 

My backyard header for January 2020 is Winterberry. The birds will eat it as a last resort, when there is nothing else left and the ground is frozen. 

Today I want to share a sympathy card with you that I unfortunately needed. My next door neighbor's Mom passed on New Year's eve. I used the Memory Box Butterfly Swell die, as this sweet little lady loved everything about butterflies.


There are other dies that would give you the same effect, like the Nellie's Choice Floral & Butterflies

Nellie's Choice - Hobby Solutions Die Cut "Floral & Butterflies"  (Ships January 6)


or the Sue Wilson Cascading Butterflies



I began with running the Darice Butterflies embossing folder through my embossing machine. 



The Memory Box Butterfly Swell was then die cut from the embossed piece. 


I looked through my home-made backings and found this piece that I wanted to use. I used to write on the back, how they were made! New Year resolution - get back to that habit!!



I then attached the background behind the die cut piece and cut off the excess.



The sentiment was stamped with Versafine Clair Morning Mist. While it was still wet I added some Sparkle Embossing Powder and this was then die cut with one of the Lawn Fawn Just For You Labels. 


I cut out the Butterfly Swell from vellum also and then fussy cut the three butterflies. They were then inked with Versamark and then sprinkled with Sparkle embossing powder.


A little dab of Scraperfect Best Glue Ever was added to the middle of each of the butterflies and the curled vellum butterflies were attached on top of the glue.


The sentiment was attached with foam tape and the other little butterfly was cut from the same orange cardstock as the layer on top of the card base (also inked up with Versamark and sprinkled with Sparkle embossing powder). This was all layered on to the white card base.

Here is a close up of the front of the card.


Here is a list of the products that I used today:

Religious Sympathy Set 383 (Sparkle N Sprinkle)
Scraperfect Best Glue Ever
Memory Box Butterfly Swell
Lawn Fawn “Just for You Labels” dies
Darice Butterflies Embossing Folder
Versafine Clair Morning Mist
Versamark 
Sparkle Embossing Powder (EP107)
Foam Tape

I'd like to join in the following challenges:
Scrapy Land Challenge #129: Anything Goes using a die that SL sells
World Wide Open Design Team Challenge #12: Anything Goes
Classic Design Challenge #1: Anything Goes

Wishing you all a wonderful, happy and healthy New Year!

Till next time - happy stamping!

Shona

13 comments:

  1. A gorgeous card Shona, the butterfly dies are always a favorite of min (I just can't quit buying them)...a card I am sure that will be appreciated and treasured as well!! Happy New year to you my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful and gorgeous card you made to give your neighbor on their loss. It is a beautiful sympathy card. So sorry these kinds are needed but I am sure this will be a big comfort to the recipients. I wish you a happy new year too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea to write how our background pieces were made. Thanks for that tip Shona. I have so many in my bit box and we do forget which products we used especially if it's left overs from another project.
    Beautiful backgrounds - embossed and watercoloured. Love the wonky cut. The butterflies are beautiful and must look stunning IRL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Shona, Happy New Year! I hope this year is off to a good start for you! This card! WOW! Just a vision with it's color and the design! I love the beautiful butterfly- always a symbol of beauty and growth. And your background panel is is so vibrant and a great contrast to the stark white. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shona, I'm so sorry to hear about your neighbor's mom, but grateful you could do something special for them. I've never seen that butterfly die that divides the paper. It's beautiful with the alcohol inks, and your special touches! hugs, de

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful card, Shona! Those are tough cards to make but you've done a fabulous job! I also love your wonderful new header photo! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulously designed project. Lovely work here. Thank you for sharing with us over here at World Wide Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.

    Annette DT / Admin / Registered Owner for https://worldwideopendesignteamchallenge.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very Beautiful and meaningful card Shona, love your butterflies and the fab background. I'm sure this card was received with the love it was made with.
    Faith x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shona, what a lovely card. Great design. Pretty colors and that butterfly die you used is so pretty. Thanks for sharing with us over here at World Wide Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry. Barbara DT member for { World Wide Open Design Team Challenge}

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shona! This is wonderful! Thank you for sharing in our challenge at Classic Design Challenge we really appreciate you joining in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am inspired! I will be making cards similar to this one. I have a friend who loves butterflies and neutral color. I like bold color. You have shown me how to make lovely cards to gift her with that can be lovely and neutral. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's always difficult to create sympathy cards Shona but this is so beautiful! Gorgeous design with the lovely embossing, inked background and delicate butterflies. It would be suitable for many occasions by changing the sentiment.
    xx
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. A gorgeous card Shona! Love the dies. Thank you for sharing with us over here at World Wide Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.

    Gale DT for  http://worldwideopendesignteamchallenge.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and letting me share in part of your day. I would love to hear what you think about my latest creation!