Wednesday, September 8, 2021

CCC Penguin Trio

 Hi there and welcome to September! We got the aftermath of Ida  and although we were lucky with just a little basement water and power outage, many neighbors did not fare so well. We have nearby towns with several feet of water and several of our main streets collapsed under the force of the rain. I was down in the cul-de-sac picking up pieces of tarmac and piles of gravel thinking how lucky we had been, when I noticed the bees were busy supping up the water from the street, to take back to the hives! 

My two hives over-wintered well and immediately swarmed in early Spring, so I gave away two swarms (was unable to catch one) and then had to also split the two hives, so now I have four. 

I have already harvested 64 pounds of honey and have 20 or so, waiting to get bottled. Then on Monday, I had to take another 23 frames off (probably around another 80 pounds), otherwise they will get honey bound. This has been a crazy bee year!! That's the long story about my header - this little lady is sipping water down in the cul-de-sac to take back and cool down the hive. 

My card today is for the September Challenge over at Christmas Craft Creations, where this month the theme is your take on the provided sketch.

I can't remember the last time I took part in a sketch challenge, and instead of using trees, I decided to go with penguins! I had two Hampton Art penguin stamps and die sets, so combined the two of those for my project today.


I chose the three scarf-wearing penguins and placed them in the stamp positioner and inked them up with Versafine Clair Nocturne.


They were then colored with Copics.


I put the colored images back in the stamping platform and inked again with Nocturne ink and then heat embossed with Clear Detail.

They were then die cut and I decided to fussy cut the little one out so that he didn't have a white halo around him.

I found an embossed snowflake background in my stash and then I set about making some snowdrifts using double stick tapes and tearing them. I added Diamond Dust, which is a chunky glitter, then Bridal glitter which is more opaque. I finished with a torn strip of white cardstock which was taped over the bottom section (to make it more opaque). Brushable Glue was then applied to this piece and the top had some Diamond Dust applied, with more Bridal glitter below.

A little dimensional glue on the trim of the Mummy penguin's hat with some Diamond Dust to tie in with the sparkle!


The sentiment (Hero Arts) was stamped on white cardstock in Versafine Clair Nocturne and then embossed in Clear Detail.  This was punched using Stampin' Up's Window punch.

The penguins and the sentiment were all added to the background with tape and mounting tape to give a little dimension.

Below you'll find the products I used:

Hampton Art Stamp and Die Set SC0714

Hampton Art Stamp and Die Set SC0665

Hero Arts Stamp Set CL343

Versafine Clair Nocturne ink

Clear Detail embossing Powder

Copics

Double Sided tapes

Brushable Glue

Dimensional Glue 

Diamond Dust glitter

Bridal Glitter

Stampin’Up Window Punch

Mounting Tape


Thanks for stopping by today,


Shona

9 comments:

  1. Super cute penguins, love their sparkle! That's great to 'bee' able to get all that honey!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your version of the sketch using penguins instead of trees. Beautiful Christmas card design!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW I didn't know you were a bee keeper! Holy Moly that's a LOT of honey! Well done my friend! Your card is adorable and I have those 3 little guys and had totally forgotten about them ... thanks for the reminder! Be safe ... glad you didn't have more damage then you did. Scary times we are living in!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your concern about the bees drinking from standing water after such a horrific storm, Shona. So glad your home is safe, with minimal damages. Hopefully, everyone will receive the help they need to repair their homes, and make them safer for future storms. Your Christmas card is darling! you always have so much whimsy, sparkle and fun in your creations! hugs, de

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super card Shona, love the sparkle! X

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw your card on the challenge Shona and thought it beautiful and fun, good to be able to comment on it. Great design and lurve the sparkle and the embossing inked.
    Faith x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What cute penguins and so beautifully coloured Shona. Love the snowy background and wow to all that sparkle for the snow. I know how hard it is to get the diamond dust to show up. Great take on the sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super cute and sparkly card! Love it! Thanks for sharing about the bees too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those penguins are really cute Shona, love all the sparkle and your take on the sketch.
    Glad you didn't suffer too badly from the hurricane- it was horrific!
    Your bees have been amazingly productive this year- that's a LOT of honey!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and letting me share in part of your day. I would love to hear what you think about my latest creation!